It seems everyone is talking about Christmas and gifts and sales. Children are making lists of all the things they want. They know that Santa is on his way with all kinds of toys and goodies. Parents are working hard to help Santa make all their dreams come true. It is also a time of parties and pageants, lights, and laughter. T’is the season to be jolly at all costs! And the costs seem to be getting higher and higher. At this writing, there are 24 more days to get it done.
For Christians, there is also another reason for the season. And yes, it is about giving and receiving as well. But this gift, Mary’s little baby boy, Jesus, keeps on giving. It is priceless. The more I grow in my faith, to borrow the words of a four-year-old, “I can’t want to” put retailing the season before celebrating the greatest gift of all. It is because of Jesus, that I receive gifts, also known as blessings all year long.
Here are some that come to mind.
- Blinking my eyes in the morning and realizing I am not over, yet.
- Humble honesty.
- Strength enough to be vulnerable.
- A child’s laughter.
- Someone special wanting my attention.
- Clouds rolling in when I am not looking.
- Being able to sit with true friends comfortably in silence.
- Listening to a song that makes me feel better.
- Making eye contact with a friend from across the room and we both automatically smile.
- An interesting conversation with a stranger.
- The satisfying feeling of doing the right thing.
- Looking up at the sky on a clear night and seeing nothing but stars.
- The crackling sound of a fireplace on a chilly winter night.
- The peaceful calm just after a heavy rainstorm or snowfall.
- A baby extending little arms while reaching for a loving hug.
- Achieving a milestone for which that I have gradually and diligently worked.
- Making a positive difference in someone’s life.
- The bittersweet feeling of finishing a good book.
- Sleeping right next to someone I truly love.
- Being Present… And Grateful at all times.
What’s on your list?
 Adapted from http://www.marcandangel.com/2016/11/20/40-perfect-moments-we-forget-to-appreciate/Until next time, remember,
You are not alone.
You are not your circumstances.
You have everything within you to live a purpose-filled life.